Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Tie-Dye French Vanilla Pineapple Rum Cake

I saw this idea for a tie dye cake on several other blogs, and I gathered tips and tricks from them all and created my own! I’m a total hippy at heart, and thought a tie dye cake would be awesome! Most of the blogs I read just used plain white cake…boring! I got a plain white cake box, and a French vanilla instant pudding, and a bottle of Malibu Black, and created a Tie-Dye French Vanilla Pineapple Rum Cake. BOOM!

 This recipe did not include very many ingredients. Other than the cake box, I added  a French vanilla instant pudding packet, three eggs, a third cup of rum, a third cup of water, and a third cup of vegetable oil. I used a premade whit e frosting and skittles for  decoration (not the best decision for a 21st birthday).

Preheat the oven to 350F. In the kitchen aid, I mixed together the ingredients to make the white batter. Once at the correct consistency, I separated about a half cup of batter into four separate bowls. I tinted each bowl with food coloring and created a red, blue, green, and yellow batter. 

I had two small 8” round pans the exact same size. I greased the pans with Crisco (or Pam, if you prefer) and placed half of the remaining white batter in each and spread it across the bottom of the pans.  I blobbed tablespoons of the tinted batter on top of the white, and used a butter knife to marble them together.

I baked the cakes on the center rack for about 20 minutes (follow the instructions on the box). Once cooked, I checked with a tooth pick. I removed from the oven and let cool for a few minutes. I removed one from the pan and faced the tie dye side up. I covered the bottom layer with white frosting, then placed the second round cake on top. Then, I covered the entire thing with white frosting. For professional appearance, this takes practice to not drag crumbs around the cake.

Once frosted, I lined skittles around the base of the cake like a chain link necklace. I also placed skittles on top of the cake. While they were colorful, they were not that tasty with the cake. And, they also made the cake look very juvenile, opposite of what the 21st birthday stands for. In the end, it was still delicious, made and received with love.




No comments:

Post a Comment