Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Oreo Red Velvet Cupcake

This is not an original creation. I heard someone somewhere, on the food network or the internet I don’t know, had designed a red velvet Oreo cupcake! What a magnificent idea!

It was my cousin Leah’s 21st birthday over the weekend, and I wanted to make her something really special and delicious. I was also baking a cake (see next blog) so I was in somewhat of a rush.  Usually, cakes from scratch are preferable, but I used a box cake for this recipe (and the next).  On the plus side, this recipe has five ingredients, well six if you count water (not listed in photo haha).

To start, I preheated the oven to 350F. Next, I placed 24 cupcake tins in the tray, with one single (double stuffed) Oreo in each.  Then I used a kitchen aid mixer to make the batter. Mixed the cake box, three eggs, a third cup of vegetable oil, and a third cup of water. Mix well, but do not over mix.

Pour the red (so red, will stain anything it touches red) batter over the Oreo until tin is about two thirds full. Place the tins in the middle of the rack in the oven and bake for 25 minutes (or whatever the box says). Poke with a tooth pick to check if fully cooked.

Remove from oven and let fully cool for several minutes before frosting. I used a premade frosting for time purposes, but you can also make a simple butter cream with a stick of butter, 8 oz of cream cheese and 3 cups of powdered sugar. Vary recipe for taste or thickness.

I used a piping bag with a flower tip to frost the cupcakes. I need to invest in a better bag, with bigger tips for a more professional appearance. (I forgot to take a solo picture of the finished cupcakes!)

The Verdict: The double stuff Oreo was very overwhelming, and the whole thing was ridiculously sweet. But, if you like sweet then these are right up your ally!


No comments:

Post a Comment