Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Breakfast Casserole




Breakfast casserole (pizza, pie, whatever you want to call it) is definitely a people pleaser. This layered dish combines the best breakfast ingredients (in my opinion) into one awesome meal. This recipe is very adaptable to whatever you prefer.

My breakfast casserole included biscuits, cheese, eggs, bacon, tater tots and more cheese. You easily could add or substitute sausage, peppers/green chilies, spinach or whatever you prefer for breakfast. I used a small deep square casserole dish, and it only fed about six people. Next time, I know to use a larger dish. I’ve made this before, and learned to precook certain items, or they take forever to bake. Nobody wants to wait an hour for a casserole to bake.
First, I greased the pan and placed a layer of biscuits at the bottom. I used the Pillsbury brand canned dinner rolls, you could pick just about anything for a biscuit crust though. I prebaked the biscuits, by themselves, for about ten minutes at 375F. In hindsight, the biscuits took the longest to bake, so you might want to prebake them a little longer. (Still leave them a little uncooked because you will bake the whole thing together later). Also, a clear baking dish makes it easier to tell when the biscuits are done. Mine may or may not have come out a little crispy.

While the biscuits were precooking, I also put some tater tots in the oven to start crisping as well. Tater tots (if frozen) usually take about twenty minutes in the oven, and they taste better (in my opinion) crispier!

With the biscuits and tots prebaking in the oven, I started on the bacon. I used about a half a package of bacon. I cut the strips in half for convenience. I also precooked the bacon in the microwave, on a plate between two paper towels. I love bacon, but when cooking dishes like these, stove top bacon is unnecessary (and a hot mess), and the microwave works just fine.
In a small bowl, I mixed together about 5 eggs and some milk. I would use more eggs, maybe 8 or 9. A lot more eggs haha. And if you have a bigger dish, you may even need a dozen. Mix with milk and spices, and start to scramble in a pan. You don’t need to cook the eggs completely, but give them a head start, and they can finish baking.
Once all items are done prebaking, assemble the casserole. The bottom layer is biscuit, then I sprinkled some shredded cheese (probably unnecessary, but I love cheese). Then I placed the pre scrambled eggs on top of the biscuits and cheese. Next, I layered the bacon on top of the eggs. Then, I covered the bacon with tots. Finally, I smothered it in cheese!

Yes, this is the fat ass special. But, I am a firm believer that everything in moderation is acceptable. And like I said, this is really a people pleaser! Big hit! Everyone loved it! Wish I would have made more…

No comments:

Post a Comment