Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Spicy Cajun Chicken Fettuccini Alfredo

Last night, I tried something new. I had never made my own Alfredo sauce from scratch, usually go for the cheap easy jar, but I wanted a challenge! So last night, I made spicy Cajun chicken Alfredo.

I started with some chicken breast filets, cut them in half (width wise), and then sliced them into small strips. If you prefer chunks or cubes, go for it. In a large frying pan, I cooked the chicken with about a half a stick of butter (yum)! I heavily seasoned the chicken with Cajun spice, black and red pepper, garlic powder, and sweet basil. Cayenne is a slow heat at the back of your tongue. If you prefer a more frontal spice attack, you could add some jalapeƱos.

After the chicken was cooked, I added about a cup and a half of heavy whipping cream. I would suggest using more for a creamier sauce. I wanted my sauce to be SPICY and red, so I added a dash of Frank’s red hot. But by far, the best last minute addition to this dish was a stroke of sheer genius. BACON. That’s right. I grabbed my Costco (yes, I buy in bulk) bag of bacon bits and poured in a few heaping handfuls. I covered the sauce with tin foil and let it simmer for a few minutes. Stir or whisk frequently to thicken sauce.
The best part about cooking and recipes is the cook’s freedom of flavor and adaptation. I saw several recipes that called for other things like white wine, sundried tomatoes, or green onions. But, I opted not to use those.

While my sauce was thickening, I boiled a pot of water with oil and salt. Once it came to a rolling boil, I cooked half a box of fettuccini noodles. They take about 10-15 minutes to cook. I’m not sure if I under cooked them or over cooked them, but they were not as soft as they could have been. I would babysit the noodles closely.

I garnished the dish with fresh parmesan, and it was pretty delicious! Definitely going in the cook book scrap book to be remade for future occasions. J


No comments:

Post a Comment