Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Soy Ginger Chili Citrus Salmon

My step brother Ian supplied me with some FRESH silver salmon (from the Kenai River, I believe). I honestly can’t remember the last time I cooked salmon in the oven. I’m so Alaskan, I just take it out of the river, wrap it in tin foil with a stick of butter, and throw it straight on the campfire. (uuuunnnnnnhhhh) I had two large filets that I cute into four pieces, which served about ten people. I marinated the salmon for about two hours before broiling it in the oven.
For the marinade, in a medium size bowl I mixed together: soy sauce, Worcestershire, olive oil, orange juice, honey, lime juice, minced garlic, minced ginger root, chili powder, black pepper, red pepper (cayenne), and lemon pepper. Quantities vary depending on the amount of fish you are marinating. I started with a third cup of soy sauce, orange juice and olive oil, and ended up needing to add more of each. Can’t mess up a marinade, so just throw whatever you want in there! Tip: I tried to remove as much air possible from the gallon Ziploc, and I also double bagged it in case of leakage.
I let the fish marinade for about two hours (in the refrigerator of course). I preheated the oven to broil. I placed tinfoil on a cookie sheet. In hindsight, I wish I would have used more foil and completely covered the cookie sheet, because the marinade leaked under and burned on the sheet, causing a more laborious clean up. I placed the filets skin side UP on the foiled cookie sheet. I broiled them for about three minutes and then removed from the oven. With a fork, tongs, or your fingers (whatever you prefer), remove the skin. It should peel away easily after being broiled for a few minutes. I poured some more marinade on the salmon after the skin was removed, and placed back in the oven for another three minutes. Remove the fish again, flip it, and broil for another five minutes. Babysit and watch closely, may not take as long depending on size of filets.
To round off this delicious meal, my friends made an amazing fruit salad with a lot of variety! Blackberries, pineapple, mandarins, strawberries, bananas, grapes, apples and more! Mixed with a tub of lite cool whip.
My other friend made an awesome green salad, too! Fresh spinach (from Costco, of course) and dark greens. Don’t forget the cucumbers, grape tomatoes, carrots and walnuts.
This meal turned out absolutely wonderful. A great time for friends to gather for a nice fresh Alaskan salmon feed. I really love cooking, but the time we spend together eating is my favorite part. (I’m a HUGE advocate for family dinners btw.)

No comments:

Post a Comment