Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Red Velvet Waffle Fiasco

Some ideas start out as genius, and quickly turn to the worse decision ever. This is one of those stories:

I was baking red velvet cupcakes with my cousin Leah for our friend Jillian’s birthday this evening. I only had one cupcake tray that could hold a dozen cupcakes. We used only half of the cake batter for the cupcakes, and still had a decent amount remaining. Well, I wanted to use the rest of the batter so that I could clean that bowl and make the cream cheese frosting in the kitchen aid mixer too. So, I got the most tragically brilliant idea to make red velvet waffles!

I had a brand new waffle iron from target, white. I was ready to break this bad boy in. Leah was all game for red velvet waffles too. Well, I have never made waffles before, hence why my waffle iron was brand new. I poured entirely too much BRIGHT RED cake batter into the waffle iron and closed the lid. Within minutes, thick blood like batter is oozing from every waffle iron surface. The sloppy mess seems to touch every surrounding appliance. I only have white kitchen towels, and was not ready for my laundry basket to look like I just gave birth in the bathroom.


 I went through over a HALF a roll of paper towels just trying to soak up batter. The white waffle iron has red velvet batter caked in impossible corners. My hands are freckled from my fingers to my forearm with bright red patches. The wart on my index finger is stained red too. It is a giant mess to say the least.


The red velvet waffles came out pretty good, but they tasted just like a freaking cupcake, and they were not worth the half an hour clean up mission.

But, in the end, we did produce some pretty damn good red velvet cupcakes with a cream cheese frosting. I just used a cake mix and a simple butter cream recipe of one cup cream cheese, two cups powdered sugar, half a stick of melted butter, and a splash of vanilla. The only frosting pipe I could find was for a mini cupcake set, so the frost job was not so hot. But, I never claimed to be a cupcake pro.


In the end, I would highly advise against red velvet waffles. It may sound like a good idea, but it most definitely is not. As much as I love to write about and share my success with food, it's not always butterflies and roses people!


No comments:

Post a Comment