Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Halibut Tacos with Chipotle-Lime Dressing


The other night, I went over to have friends with my old roomies at their new place. My beautiful cousin Laura gets all the credit for this meal, but it was just so delicious, I had to blog about it.
I knew her family had just caught some fresh fish in the English Bay, but I was ecstatic to find out the menu: halibut tacos with pico de gallo and a chipotle-lime dressing!


First, she made a marinade for the halibut to add some extra flavor: olive oil, white vinegar, lime juice, lime zest, honey, garlic, cumin, chili powder and black pepper. She cut the halibut into chunks, placed in a bowl with the marinade, covered with plastic and kept refrigerated. (Quick Tip: I would also suggest gallon zip loc bags for marinades)

Next, (she actually had the salsa and dressing made before I even got there) is the chipotle lime dressing. This was so effing amazing, and simple! Just one 8oz container of sour cream, lime juice and zest, cumin, chili powder and chipotle. She also made a homemade pico de gallo salsa with tomatoes, onions, cilantro, lime juice ect…

After, she grilled the fish on the stove top, we warmed up some corn tortillas and assembled the tacos. Halibut, chipotle lime dressing, salsa and fresh jalapeƱos. So good.


Side note: I really like mango salsa with white fish. Just like a tomato salsa with onions, cilantro and lime, but chunks of jar or canned mangos in place of tomatoes. Carrs Safeway didn’t have any mangos, so I was going to improvise with a citrus salsa. Unfortunately, I spaced on making the salsa when I got there (because everything already looked so good), so we will never know the fate of the citrus salad.

1 comment:

  1. So excited to try this - We can look for mangoes at New Sagaya!

    ReplyDelete